Sunday, May 3, 2009

Multi-Generational Facebook


At first Facebook was exclusively for college. Now, anyone can have an account.

My aunts and uncles have even friend requested me along with all of my cousins on Facebook, which I have reluctantly accepted and added to my limited profile. Call me old fashioned, but I’d prefer if the relatives from my parents’ generation would try to get to know me better through getting together with me, or at least calling me rather than checking up on me via the Internet.

It’s not as if I have pictures or information that I should feel ashamed of because if that were the case, I would delete them considering the influence a profile can have on a job prospect. But when my neighbors/babysitting clients tell me they don’t approve of my kissy-face profile picture because it might attract social networking stalkers that they saw on the last episode of Dateline, I get frustrated.

I liked Facebook a lot more when it was only for college networking. Facebook seems less special now that anyone can be a part of it. It has turned into another Myspace, which wasn’t all that special for the exact reason that anyone could be a member.

I’m keeping my Facebook page the way it is, but I can guarantee that if my parents decide to join, they will get their first taste of social networking rejection. Sorry Mom and Dad.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I wish facebook stayed only for college students. It made the experience much more acceptable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I wish facebook stayed only for college students. It made the experience much more acceptable...

    ReplyDelete