Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Loving My Life on the D-List


The first time I saw comedienne, Kathy Griffin was on a little show called Seinfeld. Her loud obnoxious voice turned me off from the get-go. But pretty much any and all BRAVO television shows get a chance with me.

I figured that My Life on the D-List would be a flop, like Griffin’s career at that point because I didn’t find her ranting and bitching about celebrities to be very funny.

After a couple of episodes, I made a discovery: Kathy Griffin’s comedy is not about one-liners or short set-ups with a quick, catchy punch line; she is best at telling stories in her own humorous way. Her life wasn’t particularly exciting, especially not enough to conjure up a reality show, but the way she made her less-than-spectacular lifestyle seem funny is what made her interesting to watch.

Watching her beg for publicity by doing anything, whether it be embarrassing or humiliating, and then raving over her page sixteen tabloid picture as if it were an Emmy made me want to keep tuning in to see if she really could get herself off of the D-List.

It’s like rooting for the lovable underdog and through her show, I have become a fan. Way to go Kathy for getting off the D-List!

No comments:

Post a Comment