Thursday, May 14, 2009

Italian kids vs. American kids


I received an e-mail from my father, who happens to be a typical Italian man, that was forwarded from my Uncle Nicky and sent to all my cousins and aunts and uncles…okay, you get it; we’re a big, fat, Italian family.

The e-mail was about the way Italians think and live compared with how Americans think and live. I couldn’t help sharing a few points that were so true that it should be rules that my family lives by.

American kids: Always pay retail, and look in the Yellow Pages when they need to have something done. Italian kids: Call their dad or uncle, and ask for another dad's or uncle's phone number to get it done.

American kids: Will greet you with 'Hello' or 'Hi'. Italian kids: Will give you a big hug, a kiss on your cheek, and a pat on your back. American kids: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs. Italian kids: Call your parents Mom and Dad.

American kids: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing. Italian kids: Will kick the whole crowds' ass that left you behind. American kids: Think that being Italian is cool. Italian kids: Know that being Italian is cool.

I love being Italian and whenever I’m bored or want to procrastinate, I just look at my pictures from Italy, or look up websites that could help me book another trip. And with the economy influencing travel prices, I suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment