Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Facebook vs. Myspace

In the last blog that I posted, I spoke about cheap imitations of television shows; the examples being two of Bravo’s reality shows, Project Runway and The Fashion Show. Two of the most popular social networking sites remind of that same scenario.

I have had accounts with two of the largest social networking websites: Facebook and Myspace. I eventually cancelled my Myspace account because it seems like the two sites are becoming ambiguously similar.

Both websites have all of the same entertaining, distracting aspects, from walls posts to profile pages to surveys that are designed for the sole purpose of procrastinating. Now that Facebook has changed it’s requirements for membership, anyone can join either network.

But there is a reason why I still have a Facebook account and no Myspace page, other than the fact that I like the gaming and family tree applications. Security has never been an issue when it comes to Facebooking…unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Myspace.

After several weeks of not checking my Myspace account because I was too bored to care, and was already jumping ship over to Facebook, I decided to login. Apparently, someone hacked into my account and changed a few things. Like that a favorite hobby was to meet strangers in public bathrooms, and that my all-time hero was Charles Manson…among other things.

That’s when I deactivated my account and said goodbye to Myspace. And I don’t miss it one bit!

2 comments:

  1. I have both accounts. But I can't tell you the last time I even logged into Myspace. When I finally remember it's still there I will probably cancel it but myspace doesn't seem as appealing as facebook. Even tho I hate the fact they made it so everyone can have a facebook account, it's still a better way to stay in contact with those long lost friends from back home that you forgot about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both accounts. But I can't tell you the last time I even logged into Myspace. When I finally remember it's still there I will probably cancel it but myspace doesn't seem as appealing as facebook. Even tho I hate the fact they made it so everyone can have a facebook account, it's still a better way to stay in contact with those long lost friends from back home that you forgot about...

    ReplyDelete